Talk: Main Page
Not showing in my browser. Is there one? James
- I've not developed one. If you want to, I'll put it up so it'll be used. TazzyTazzy 12:34, 15 December 2006 (EST)
Created one and uploaded it - see Wikidcc.jpg - could not upload the .ico file - can be converted on the web using www.html-kit.com/favicon - If you like it, please use it. James
- Favicon created, and uploaded. Thanks for the image. If you want to try dfferent ones, let me know. I don't have any photo tools on this computer, but i think the DCC part should be bigger? Or, maybe go from the upper left to the lower right would allow for more bolder font? I don't know, i'm not a graphics person at all. I do like this!! :-) Thank you. TazzyTazzy 17:37, 16 December 2006 (EST)
Glad you liked it. I can try again in a while - tad busy at present. Couple of things: wanted to keep the 'W' prominant but different to the main Wikipedia Icon, so made it similar, bigger and red. FYI the font I used is Garamond. On making the 'DCC' more prominant, well I can have a go. The font size I used filled the full width (near enough) of the image. So could try and make it bolder, taller and perhaps reposition it - top, middle and diagonal are possible options. I'll see what looks OK when made 'Icon' size - one thing in particular - can I read it! --Jamesoc 05:16, 18 December 2006 (EST) (or 10:16 GMT 'cos I'm in the UK)
Many if the DCC pages cannot be edited, e.g. "Address Range": This page has been locked to prevent editing. What is the reason for this? The page (and the summary text) isn't perfect! :-)
You must be logged in to edit, and some pages are protected temporarily after a majour assault be a script kiddie a few weeks back. It took several days to clean up the mess, from inserting gibberish into pages to completely deleting them. Hope that explains what is going on.
Main Page Updates
The main page and tabs need to be updated.
1) Internal links on this page, and these tabs, do not display as "hot links". For example, "Introduction to DCC" does not display as a hot link. Links therefore do not encourage visitors, especially first time visitors, to explore subsequent pages. Only by rolling over every word might a visitor realize the wealth of information contained within the wiki.
2) "Tutorials" are mentioned, but no link is provided.
3) The typeface used does not match the "native typeface", as used on subsequent pages.
4) The page and tabs are locked, so no one can improve them.
Main page editing
Status has been changed to allow confirmed users to edit the pages
It was locked down after some script kiddie trashed the site years back, deleting pages or vandalizing them. Not so much an issue now that you must be confirmed before being allowed to do anything. Really hurt the spammers with that change.
Try again. The template may have been the culprit.
PS: I see numbered tabs, with no "titles". Not sure why Safari renders it that way.
Citations do not function as expected. The tags , and