Summary: Dispatch is a command in the LocoNet language, used on Digitrax systems. The Dispatch command releases control of the locomotive from the throttle, making it available to another throttle. Only one address can be flagged as dispatched in the system. By pressing ACQ (ACQuire) on your throttle you can take control of the dispatched address.
When you dispatch a locomotive or consist, it is made available for other throttles to use. The first throttle requesting it via the ACQ (Acquire) key will gain control of that address. This allows other throttles, such as operator throttles to gain control. This will allow a throttle which cannot create consists or access 4 digit addresses to take control easily.
Zephyr / Zephyr Xtra / Zephyr Express
To perform a dispatch, refer to your manuals, as each system has differences in the procedure.
DT400 DT402 DT500
- It is recommended that you set the speed to zero prior to dispatching, to avoid runaways when it is acquired.
To dispatch a locomotive using a DT400 throttle, press LOCO and browse to the address. Then press the DISP (DISPatch) key.
- For the DT500, press the LOCO key again to go into select mode, then DISP.
Refer to the manual as there may be differences in the procedure.
- While un-plugged press and hold the DISP button then plug in the UT4 to the throttle network.
- There should be a solid red light. You are now dispatched.
- Unplug the throttle, then select another locomotive address. There is no need to turn the dials while your plugged in. The DISPatch key does the selection internally.
Dispatching can be used to allow consists and four digit addresses to be used by throttles lacking those features. The consist can be created by one throttle, then dispatched and subsequently be acquired by another throttle. Or a locomotive with a 4 digit address can be acquired by a throttle not capable of using four digit addresses.
Some operators prefer that all addresses be dispatched upon completion of an operating session. This prevents any unexpected results when the layout is powered up at a later time.