Every page on the DCCWiki site not only has information to show you but also allows you to move to other pages. This is called "navigation".
To help you navigate, every page on DCCWiki, has three main navigation elements:
- The navbar topics along the top left gives you access to important pages in the DCCWiki such as Introduction to DCC.
- The navbar options along the top right provides tools and details about the current page, such as revision history, the talk page, and ability to edit the current page. The search bar is also displayed in this area.
- In addition to the standard navigation elements that each page has, a page will have its own unique information which appears in the larger main area of the page. Generally within this information will be links to other pages.
This page mainly documents the desktop size layout, however, many items will work similar on mobile or smaller devices.
Clicking on DCCWiki at the top left brings you back to the main page of the wiki.
Along the top of the page (or from the dropdown menu on mobile devices) is a list of primary, or important, topics such as getting help, introduction to DCC, or finding various DCC products (not supported by DCCWiki). Each primary topic will have a drop-down list of topics available.
- History - See page revision history details.
- Watch - Get email notifications if a page changes.
- Protect - Admins can protect the page from edits.
- Move - Some users will be able to move pages around for organization reasons.
- Delete - Delete a page and it's contents.
The toolbox (represented by the gear icon) contains a selection of links which change depending on what type of page you are viewing.
- What links here - takes you to a special page that lists the pages on that wiki which contain a link to the current page. This is helpful when you are looking for pages of related information. The "what links here" information can also be useful when you are refactoring wiki pages and need to check whether links to this page are still relevant after changes in the current page.
- Recent changes - tool lists all recent changes in the pages linked to from the current page. Recent changes to all relevant template pages are included in the resulting page list. The " hide minor" option that can be set in the user preferences applies, among other things, to "recent changes".
- On all pages (including special pages)
- Upload file - displays a special page that allows logged-in users to upload images and other files to the wiki. Uploaded files can be linked from or embedded in wiki pages. Uploading files, viewing files on the server, including them in wiki pages and managing the uploaded files is discussed in the [[Help:Managing files>|managing files]] section of this manual.
- Special Pages - lists the DCCWiki special pages. In DCCWiki terminology, a special page is one that presents information about the Wiki and/or allows access to administration activities for the wiki. For example, a list of users registered with the wiki, statistics about the wiki such as the number of pages and number of page edits, system logs, a list of orphaned pages, and so on. The function and use of the default special pages can be found in the special pages section of this manual.