New for DCCWiki 2010
As founder of this open source community wiki for all things DCC, I (TazzyTazzy) felt it was time for a revamp and add some much need user interface improvements. Over the last year or so, I have not done much to this site. There have been a few dedicated users here, but I want to bring this wiki to the next level.
Feel free to add what you feel is missing, here's a list to start with. As these items get address, they will be moved to the appropriate section.
What is missing
- Old home page - needs more useful navigation (work in progress)
- Navigation in general (started adding navboxes to major dcc topics)
- Where do I find what I'm looking for?
- Where do I put information that I have?
- Adding content
- Wiki syntax isn't very easy everyone
- Uploading images and adding them to an article can be bothersome, at best.
- How do I catalog this data?
- Where do I put data - reviews, decoder information
- Writing up decoder installs
- Non consistent data for various items - eg, decoders or command stations
What has been done
- Adding basic content is being addressed first. It's now easier to add/edit/update:
- Command Stations List - Can add command stations easier and see a quick comparison
- Mobile Decoders List - Easier to add / update mobile decoders.
- Multifunction Decoder Install List - Now everyone should be able to document a mobile decoder installation project
- Terms List created, but still needs some work.
- Perhaps migrate terms and the main pages together - less stubs.
What needs to be done
- Finish revamping the home page
- Complete the help system for navigating the wiki, adding and edit content, etc.
- Migrate data / pages from the other manual method to the new system.
- Create additional forms:
- Power supplies
- Stationary Decoders
- Cabs (Throttles)
- Product reviews
Where can I help
There's lots to do.
- For starters, the Command Station List needs to be completed. We need to catalog all the command stations. There's already a DCC Systems comparison but needs to be migrated over to the new system.
- Propose how what other items should be captured in the command station database. I think we need a section for notes or tips for each command station.
- Put your ideas here: