LokSound Multifunction Decoders by ESU
Summary: LokSound is the brand name for ESU's line of multifunction decoders.
The naming scheme used on this page follows the LokProgrammer's conventions.
- 1 LokSound Multifunction Decoders
- 1.1 LokSound 5 Series
- 1.2 LokSound Select
- 1.3 LokSound V4.0
- 2 LokSound Multifunction Decoder Programming Notes
- 3 Important Notes
- 4 Further Reading
LokSound Multifunction Decoders
LokSound 5 Series
- The LokSound 5 is designed with the European market in mind. Momentum multiplier (CV 3 and 4) is 0.25. European modellers are more likely to be using some form of automation, requiring much more exact stopping distances or times.
- The LokSound 5 DCC is designed for the North American market.
The LokSound 5 at 30 x 15.5mm will fit most HO and OO scale locomotives.
The LokSound V5 multifunction sound decoder has the following features: Multiprotocol Modes Available:
It supports in DCC 14 and 28/128 speed steps, with 2 and 4 digit addresses and up to 32 functions available.
- Up to 10 channels simultaneously.
- 16 Bit / 31250 kHz samples
- 3W output power
- Speaker impedance: 4 – 32 Ohms.
- 128 MBit of memory for sound samples
- Volume of individual sound fragments adjusted separately.
- Three separately adjustable braking functions and two alternative load scenarios
Depending on the interface every LokSound 5 has at least 10 amplified outputs
- PluX22 or 21MTC interfaces have an additional 4 outputs for controlling servos or as logic outputs.
- Brightness of each lighting output can be adjusted separately.
- Coupler Waltz - Easier uncoupling
Motor Control Features
- Variable PWM
- 10 kHz to 50 kHz
- silent operation, particularly for coreless motors.
- Load control: 10 separate CVs
- Auto Tune: automatic calibration of the decoder to perfectly match the motor.
- 1.5A rated motor current
LokSound 5 DCC
- North American/Australian market DCC only multifunction decoder. All the features of the LokSound 5 without multi protocol support.
- CV 6 and a three point speed table (Not supported in the LokSound 5)
- RailCom Plus
- 14 functions are available
- Current Output: 1.5A
- Analog DC operation
- LokSound V5 DCC multifunction decoders are exclusive to the North American and Australian markets. Momentum CVs 3 and 4 have a multiplier of 0.896, conforming to NMRA S9.2.2.
LokSound 5 Micro
Smaller decoder for N scale applications: 21 X 10mm, nine functions, and 750mA output. Next18 interface, with adapter cable included
LokSound 5 L
Large scale (0) multifunction decoder: 51 mm x 25.5 mm
- 17 function outputs
- two RC servos supported .
- Dual power amplifier can drive two speakers
- Integrated PowerPack,
- Pin headers and a matching adapter board
LokSound 5 Micro
21 mm x 10 mm
Includes speaker and enclosure
LokSound 5 L
51mm x 25.5mm Suitable for applications where an XL will not fit, or isn't required.
LokSound 5 XL
Large gauge: G and 1
- 55 mm x 41 mm
- 19 outputs
- 4 RC servos supported
- integrated PowerPack
- screw terminals
- Pin headers for Gauge 1 installations
Essential Sound Unit
- OEM Only
This is a cost reduced multifunction decoder running modified V5.0 firmware. It features very limited programming capability as per the locomotive's manufacturer's specifications. Many CVs cannot be altered, and the firmware cannot be changed. This decoder is not available for retail sale.
- V4.0 multifunction decoders have been discontinued.
- Main article: LokSound/LokSound Select
- Main article: LokSound/LokSoundV4
LokSound Full Throttle Diesel Features
- Drive Hold
- Run 8
- Dynamic Brake
LokSound Multifunction Decoder Programming Notes
Certain issues with JMRI's code can result in problems with LokSound multifunction decoders.
Identification of the LokSound Decoder
Use the New Loco → Read Type from Decoder to determine which decoder is installed. (JMRI V4.19.5 or higher versions.)
- Read Full Sheet instead of Read All Sheets. This method reduces the likelihood of causing errors when reading a decoder with a lot of CVs.
- Upon completion, some CV values may be missing, which are displayed in red.
- Repeat Read Changes on Sheet as needed, until no CV values in red remain.
- Click on the Status column in the CV pane until a down arrow (↓) appears. Red items will then be displayed at the top of the column.
- After making changes on a programming sheet, Do Not Use Write/Read Changes on the sheet. Switch to the CV pane, use Write/Read changes on that sheet.
- Do not attempt to reset a LokSound decoder using Operations Mode (Program on the Main).
- Programmer Menu
- Reset Decoder
- Select the desired roster entry in Program Track mode
- Click on Resets menu
- Click on Factory Reset
- Click on Resets menu
As this information is what is supplied by the manufacturer, it is by no means complete or accurate. See the manufacturer's web site for full details.
Rapido RS-18 DCC issues
These models are equipped with the LokSound V5.0 multifunction decoder. The following changes have been published by Rapido as a fix for these issues.
- CV51 = 20
- CV52 = 5
- CV54 = 25
These changes will be lost if a factory reset is performed. A LokProgrammer can update the firmware so these values become the default.
These changes are unverified.
For reference, LokSound Manual at Rapido website.
- ESU decoders LokSound 73199, 73100 and LokPilot 54650 decoded
- LokSound Select Direct Micro 73100 – 73199
- LokPilot Micro Direct OEM 54650