The LokSound multifunction decoders are very advanced sound decoders, and are found as the OEM multifunction decoder in many locomotives.
The naming scheme used on this page follows the LokProgrammer's conventions.
- 1 LokSound Multifunction Decoders
- 1.1 LokSound 5 Series
- 1.2 LokSound Select
- 1.3 LokSound V4.0
- 2 LokSound Multifunction Decoder Programming Notes
- 3 Important Notes
LokSound Multifunction Decoders
LokSound 5 Series
The LokSound 5 is designed with the European market in mind. Momentum multiplier (CV 3 and 4) is 0.25. European modellers are more likely to be using some form of automation, requiring much more exact stopping distances or times.
The LokSound 5 at 30 x 15.5mm will fit most HO and OO scale locomotives.
The LokSound V5 multifunction sound decoder has the following features: Multiprotocol Modes Available:
It supports in DCC 14 and 28/128 speed steps, with 2 and 4 digit addresses and up to 32 functions available.
- Up to 10 channels simultaneously.
- 16 Bit / 31250 kHz samples
- 3W output power
- Speaker impedance: 4 – 32 Ohms.
- 128 MBit of memory for sound samples
- Volume of individual sound fragments adjusted separately.
- Three separately adjustable braking functions and two alternative load scenarios
Depending on the interface every LokSound 5 has at least 10 amplified outputs
- PluX22 or 21MTC interfaces have an additional 4 outputs for controlling servos or as logic outputs.
- Brightness of each lighting output can be adjusted separately.
- Coupler Waltz - Easier uncoupling
Motor Control Features
- Variable PWM
- 10 kHz to 50 kHz
- silent operation, particularly for coreless motors.
- Load control: 10 separate CVs
- Auto Tune: automatic calibration of the decoder to perfectly match the motor.
- 1.5A rated motor current
LokSound 5 DCC
- North American/Australian market DCC only multifunction decoder. All the features of the LokSound 5 without the multi protocol support.
- 14 functions are available
- Current Output: 1.5A
- Analog DC operation
LokSound V5 DCC multifunction decoders are exclusive to the North American and Australian markets, which only support DCC, using a method called V5 DCC. Momentum CVs 3 and 4 have a multiplier of 0.896, conforming to NMRA S9.2.2.
LokSound 5 Micro
Smaller decoder for N scale applications: 21 X 10mm, nine functions, and 750mA output. Next18 interface, with adapter cable included
LokSound 5 L
Large scale (0) multifunction decoder: 51 mm x 25.5 mm
- 17 function outputs
- two RC servos supported .
- Dual power amplifier can drive two speakers
- Integrated PowerPack,
- Pin headers and a matching adapter board
LokSound 5 Micro
21 mm x 10 mm
Includes speaker and enclosure
LokSound 5 L
51mm x 25.5mm Suitable for applications where an XL will not fit, or isn't required.
LokSound 5 XL
Large gauge: G and 1
- 55 mm x 41 mm
- 19 outputs
- 4 RC servos supported
- integrated PowerPack
- screw terminals
- Pin headers for Gauge 1 installations
Essential Sound Unit
This is a cost reduced multifunction decoder running modified V5.0 firmware
- V4.0 multifunction decoders have been discontinued.
The LokSound Select is a full featured V4.0 multifunction decoder, for the North American and Australian market. It lacks features found on the EU versions, with some sound editing capabilities locked out by the LokProgrammer software.
- Dual Mode: Analog and DCC
- 30 X 50mm
- 21MTC and NMRA 8 pin connectors
- 4Ω Speaker impedance
- 29 functions
- Sound: 32MBit sample memory
Firmware can be updated.
LokSound Select Direct
One size fits all direct replacement for many OEM light boards
- 17 X 69mm
LokSound Select Direct Micro
N Scale multifunction decoder
- 66 X 8.2 X 4.5 mm (L-W-H)
LokSound L Select LokSound L V4.0
0 Scale 3A
Come with speakers
- 40kHz drive, adjustable
- 10 bit A/D converter
- Dynamic Drive Control
32 bit, 8 channels
4 functions supported
Coupling and uncoupling
- Firmware can be updated
N Scale multifunction decoder
LokSound XL V4.0
- 51 X 40mm
- 28 functions
LokSound V4.0 M4
Supports the M4 mode in addition to the other command control modes 1.1A
LokSound Full Throttle Diesel Features
- Drive Hold
- Run 8
- Dynamic Brake
LokSound Multifunction Decoder Programming Notes
Certain issues with JMRI's code can result in problems with LokSound multifunction decoders.
Identification of the LokSound Decoder
Use the New Loco → Read Type from Decoder to determine which decoder is installed. (JMRI V4.19.5 or higher versions.)
- Read Full Sheet instead of Read All Sheets. This method reduces the likelihood of causing errors when reading a decoder with a lot of CVs.
- Upon completion, some CV values may be missing, which are displayed in red.
- Repeat Read Changes on Sheet as needed, until no CV values in red remain.
- Click on the Status column in the CV pane until a down arrow (↓) appears. Red items will then be displayed at the top of the column.
- After making changes on a programming sheet, Do Not Use Write/Read Changes on the sheet. Switch to the CV pane, use Write/Read changes on that sheet.
As this information is what is supplied by the manufacturer, it is by no means complete or accurate. See the manufacturer's web site for full details.
Rapido RS-18 DCC issues
Owners of the ALCO RS-18 by Rapido Trains have reported various issues with operation of the DCC equipped locomotives.
These models are equipped with the LokSound V5.0 multifunction decoder. The following changes have been published by Rapido as a fix for these issues.
- CV51 = 20
- CV52 = 5
- CV54 = 25
These changes will be lost if a factory reset is performed. A LokProgrammer can update the firmware so these values become the default.
These changes are unverified.
For reference, LokSound Manual at Rapido website.
There is a YouTube video: Search for How to Fix the RS-18 DCC Motor Issue on Rapido's Youtube page.